Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Site Changes
by LunaLight Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:31 pm

» Help Us Find a New Look
by 4evr Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:33 pm

» Haunted location pics
by starchang Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:23 pm

» December 21 first 2012 is NOT the end
by Queen of Cups Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:54 am

» Idea for a game of sorts
by Nena Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:21 pm

» I had Deja Vu
by Queen of Cups Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:10 am

» Want to start a psychic journal..any ideas?
by Nena Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:25 pm

» Are psychic abilities hereditary?
by Nena Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:18 pm

» Do you Want to Write for the Charmed News?
by Queen of Wands Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:42 am

» Super Mario on The Welcome Page
by Queen of Wands Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 am

Urban Legends, Folklore and Myths

5 posters

Go down

Urban Legends, Folklore and Myths Empty Urban Legends, Folklore and Myths

Post  Queen of Cups Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:00 am

Urban legends thrive on people's deepest fears -- that our safe world can crack at any moment and a madman will change our lives forever. That alone is enough to give anyone some second thoughts about our everyday routine.

Legends and folklore tales range from the maniacal serial killer to the completely unexplained. Everyone loves scary ghost stories around the campfire or in the Fall, when the days get shorter, the nights get longer -- and imaginations run wild.

Chances are you'll find many versions of these stories as they get passed on from person to person. Children have a tendency to twist the plots and make them fit their particular circumstances. The Halloween season seems to bring out the best of local urban legends, both old and new.

Many of these spooky stories are old classics from years past. They may not be the version you've heard, but that's what makes it fun. With the help of our readers, we've got many variations, some relating to ghosts, the supernatural, and hoaxes. These legends are not suitable for young children or the faint of heart. If you've got nerves of steel, proceed with caution...

Get comfortable, dim the lights and read through some classic as well as modern urban legends, myths and folklore. Did it really happen, or was it just a figment of someone's imagination?

Queen of Cups
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Urban Legends, Folklore and Myths Empty Re: Urban Legends, Folklore and Myths

Post  Queen of Cups Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:07 am

Let`s start right away with this one....(as you wished Draztic... Wink )

The flying Dutchman

The doomed ship that is said to roam the seas forever. Thanks to the movie, "Pirates of the Caribbean", we kind of get the idea of the Flying Dutchman. Though nowhere in the legends, does it say that the captain and his crew are made to look like some kind of half-human, half-fish creatures, but we will just leave that part to Hollywood.

There are many different versions about the Flying Dutchman, one thing that stays consistent is that fact that if another ships has the misfortune of actually seeing the ship, they will have something bad happen to them.

In the year 1641, there was a ship sailing in the ocean, on it's way back home from a trip to the far east. The captain of this ship was Captain Van Der Decken, he is said to have not feared anything. There was a storm brewing and the crew of the ship wanted to go back to port and wait the storm out, but the captain did not want to hear any of that. He was going to sail straight through it no matter what anybody said.

Dark clouds were looming, the storm was getting worse but the captain was not about to turn back. It is said that, just as it seemed the storm was settling down and the skies began to look clearer, the ship hit some treacherous rocks. The ship was now sinking, the storm wasn't over yet, at that moment when the crew had lost all hope for survival, the captain swore an oath to the devil. He said " I will round this cape, even if I have to keep sailing until dooms day." The ship sank off the Cape of Good Hope.

There have been many sightings of the phantom ghost ship by sailors. The most famous sighting has to be that of King George V, while he was a crewman aboard the HMS Bacchante. In 1881 it is said that he seen the Flying Dutchman, it was written down in the ships log, they saw a ship that was glowing red and they could make out every detail of the ship. When the Bacchante sailed closer, the ghost ship vanished, where the ship was at, the waters were calm. Unfortunately the first man on board the Bacchante to notice the Flying Dutchman, died later that day when he fell from the crows nest.

There was another reported sighting of the Flying Dutchman in 1939, the difference with this sighting is that, the ship was sighted by a dozen people who were on shore. In 1942 there was also a sighting of the now famous ship, it is said that the ship entered the Table Bay, right before their very own eyes the ship just vanished into thin air. Mariners used to nail horse shoes to the mast of their ships in order to ward off the curse of the Flying Dutchman.

Even though there have been sightings of the Flying Dutchman, there is still no evidence that the ship really exists. Even though there is no physical proof of the ship, does not mean that this legand can't be real. We as human being believe in things that are not proven, yet we still believe. Just because something is unproven does not mean it isn't true.

Last edited by Mara on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Queen of Cups
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  starchang Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:48 am

awesome story girl....i think it was pittster or draztic that requested this tho cuz i just asked Urban Legends, Folklore and Myths 233288 what a flying dutchman was and had no clue! ahahahaha
starchang
starchang

Back to top Go down

Post  Queen of Cups Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:58 pm

starchang wrote:awesome story girl....i think it was pittster or draztic that requested this tho cuz i just asked Urban Legends, Folklore and Myths 233288 what a flying dutchman was and had no clue! ahahahaha

my bad it was Draztic who asked..lol..i edited it already...

Queen of Cups
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  manuel Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:12 pm

thanks sis and draztic
manuel
manuel

http://www.myspace.com/manuelbidinger

Back to top Go down

Post  Queen of Cups Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:24 pm

Very Happy

Queen of Cups
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Draztic Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:31 pm

Ty Mara, the oldest Urban legend from the Netherlands and known around the world.
Draztic
Draztic
5th Degree Student
5th Degree Student

Back to top Go down

Post  Little_Light Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:12 pm

I've actually known this story for as long as I can remember, don't even know where i learned it from. Thanks for posting it though, good to hear it again properly insyead of the disney version lol
Little_Light
Little_Light
4th Degree Student
4th Degree Student

Back to top Go down

Post  Queen of Cups Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:35 pm

Draztic wrote:Ty Mara, the oldest Urban legend from the Netherlands and known around the world.

atleast something we Dutch folks can do hu... Wink

Queen of Cups
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Draztic Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:00 pm

Power to the dutchpeople Razz
Draztic
Draztic
5th Degree Student
5th Degree Student