Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» Site Changes
by LunaLight Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:31 pm

» Help Us Find a New Look
by 4evr Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:33 pm

» Haunted location pics
by starchang Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:23 pm

» December 21 first 2012 is NOT the end
by Queen of Cups Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:54 am

» Idea for a game of sorts
by Nena Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:21 pm

» I had Deja Vu
by Queen of Cups Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:10 am

» Want to start a psychic journal..any ideas?
by Nena Fri Feb 04, 2011 1:25 pm

» Are psychic abilities hereditary?
by Nena Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:18 pm

» Do you Want to Write for the Charmed News?
by Queen of Wands Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:42 am

» Super Mario on The Welcome Page
by Queen of Wands Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:41 am

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining"

+3
Nena
manuel
Queen of Wands
7 posters

Go down

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" Empty The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining"

Post  Queen of Wands Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:50 am

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" Rcm3ya

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining"

Did you know that the seeds for "The Shining" were originally planted in Stephen King's imagination during a stay at the haunted Stanley Hotel in Colorado?

This famous building, pictured above, was built in the early 1900's by Freelan Oscar Stanley, founder of the Stanley Steamer Co.. Since that time, a variety of paranormal activity has been witnessed there, including some by Stepehn King while staying in room 217. Below is a list of some of the more infamous occurences:

•The ghosts of Freelan Stanley and his wife Flora have been seen dressed in formal attire on the main staircase and in other public areas, such as the lobby and the billiard room.

•Mr. Stanley has also been spotted in the administration offices, perhaps to keep an eye on the hotel's books. The Flora's piano playing occasionally echos in the ballroom.

•Disembodied voices and phantom footsteps have been heard in the hallways and rooms.

•Staff and visitors have reported unseen hands yanking at their clothing.

•More than one guest has said they have awakened to find their blankets taken from their beds and neatly folded.

•The Earl of Dunraven, who owned the land prior to the Stanleys, is said to haunt room 407, where the aroma of his cherry pipe tobacco still can be smelled. A ghostly face has also been reported peering out of the room's window when it was not occupied.

•Room 217, where Stephen King stayed, was the site of a tragic accident in 1911: housekeeper Elizabeth Wilson was nearly killed by a gas leak explosion. Since her death in the 1950s, strange, unexplained activity is said to take place in that room, including doors opening and closing, and lights switching on and off by themselves.

•Room 418 is the most haunted room, according to hotel staff, apparently by the ghosts of children. Guests who stay there say phantom children can be heard playing in the hallways at night. One couple complained that the noisy children kept them up all night, although there were no children staying at the hotel at the time. Impressions of bodies have been found on the bed when the room as been unoccupied.

•The ghost of a small child who calls out to his nanny has been spotted on several occasions on the second floor -- including by Stephen King.

Today, the beautiful Stanley Hotel is a popular resort for vacationers and ghost hunters alike, and even offers regular ghost tours to interested guests!

Pictures
The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" J94t1k The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" 2m495jt

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" Rmuusl The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" Qrn3h0

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" 2ntfyic The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" 34438fm

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" 1606avb The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" 2afg2li

References:
http://www.hauntedcolorado.net/GhostPics.html

http://www.hauntedamericatours.com/haunted/scariest/

http://paranormal.about.com/od/hauntedplaces/ig/World-s-Most-Haunted-Place/The-Stanley-Hotel.htm
Queen of Wands
Queen of Wands
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" Empty Re: The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining"

Post  manuel Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:54 am

WOW awesome read !!!
manuel
manuel

http://www.myspace.com/manuelbidinger

Back to top Go down

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" Empty Re: The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining"

Post  Nena Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Very cool! I enjoyed reading that. Very creepy yet interesting place.
Nena
Nena

Back to top Go down

Post  Queen of Wands Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks guys, the shining is my favorite Stephen King book, not so much a fan of the movie cause it left parts out and "Hollywood-ized" it, but the book is one of my faves so I love stuff about the Stanley. Very Happy
Queen of Wands
Queen of Wands
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Queen of Cups Wed Oct 27, 2010 3:41 pm

Oh i always love to hear about this place especially after i saw the show when GHI..(ghost hunters international) visited that place.It really is freaking creepy there ...awesom read.. aha

Queen of Cups
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  schmorg13 Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:05 pm

I grew up outside of Denver and used to visit Estes Park frequently as a child. This hotel sits on a small hill set back from the road. You can see it clearly as you drive up through the mountains. It is a breathtaking hotel. It is so beautiful it almost pulls you in....great article..thank you so much for sharing it.

schmorg13
schmorg13
5th Degree Student
5th Degree Student

Back to top Go down

Post  Queen of Wands Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:49 am

Oh yeah?? I would love to see the real thing. I worked at this hotel / restaurant a couple years ago that looked just like it upstairs with the long hallway.....and felt like it too....super creepy!
Queen of Wands
Queen of Wands
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:25 pm

I just stayed at the Stanley the day after Christmas. I took a few photos but didn't get much. If I can figure out how to add photos on here, I will add them.

Back to top Go down

Post  Queen of Wands Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:24 pm

You can use the "attach" section below the box you type in to post, or the tiny pic ap to the left. Here are the directions maybe that will help, I'd love to see some first hand pics....

directions:

https://charmed3.forumotion.net/t689-how-to-upload-an-image
Queen of Wands
Queen of Wands
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:41 pm

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" 261hz53
This is a tunnel that they employees used to use in order to enter the hotel before their shift....kind of a crappy employee entrance if you ask me. ;-)

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" Igkuqa
The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" 4tsojm
This is the piano that starts playing on its "own".

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" 64pcvd
The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" Zj9lds
Grand stairway in the foyer.

The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" Zup2f5
The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" 30m702e
The Real "Overlook Hotel" from Stephen King's "The Shining" Fvd1cw

Most of these pictures were taken during their Ghost Tour. I wanted to go out later that night and take more pictures, but unfortunately, I didn't get a chance. I also have a few more, but they have my neighbors in them and I don't want to post them without their permission. Cathy, if you want to take a look at them, I can send them directly to you.

A couple of facts about the Stanley. The movie Dumb & Dumber was filmed there. Jim Carey checked into the hotel but only stayed for 3 hours. He wouldn't even come back in to get his stuff. After he was done filming a scene, he would go outside and wait. He would never tell anyone why he left the hotel.

Back to top Go down

Post  Nena Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:34 pm

Wow! Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Nena
Nena

Back to top Go down

Post  schmorg13 Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:47 pm

Love it!! Such a beautiful place..
schmorg13
schmorg13
5th Degree Student
5th Degree Student

Back to top Go down

Post  spook28 Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:11 am

YET another awsome read!!
Awsome pics!!
I think Jim Carey might have 2 make an appearance on celebrity ghost stories Very Happy

Thanx 4 sharing aha
spook28
spook28
5th Degree Student
5th Degree Student

Back to top Go down

Post  Floh Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:46 am

I'm thrilled. place very interesting and exciting. super great pictures.
Floh
Floh

Back to top Go down

Post  Queen of Wands Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks Starshine, those are so much better than looking at the usual generic pics. I'm kind of skeptical on 'famous haunted places' sometimes because I feel like the hype doesn't always live up to my expectations....ya know like I pretty much want a ghost to tuck me in bed at night.....but I have to say that piano gives me "the feeling".

Thanks for sharing that about Jim Carrey.....that's so typical for a male it seems like it's so much harder for them to admit when they can sense stuff.....but I guess for a star too he wouldn't want that label attached to him of believing in ghosts. Personally it's a pain in the butt for me sometimes and I'm just a lowly little non celebrity LMAO.

You can send me the other pics if you like, I'd love to see them, maybe if you want I can go in and airbrush all of your faces out so nobody's showing, but that's up to you.

Very Happy
Queen of Wands
Queen of Wands
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:55 pm

Thank you everyone.

And QOW, yes, I know exactly how you feel about the let down. I was expecting at some point to get a creepy feeling, or the hair to raise on the back of my neck or SOMETHING, even for a second....but I got nada. It is a very beautiful place though and it has a lot of great history.

I will send you the other pics. I will try and air brush the faces and post once I get a chance.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down